Thursday, August 26, 2004

A wee update

Hi, friends!  Sorry that I have not updated in a while... I thought that I would just write a bit to let you know that I am still alive :).  This week has been good.  Work is keeping me busy sometimes... I am spending most of my time with Soils, Food and Healthy Communities and LISAP (Livingstonia Synod AIDS Program), but I am also trying to see what the Synod's Development and Relief Department does.  This is separate from the hospital, but is supported by PWS&D.  This week has actually been kind of quiet at work; there have been a lot of funerals that people at the hospital have had to attend.  Welcome to the reality of Africa.  Something to pray about.  Just while we're on the subject of things about which to pray, the Ekwendeni market burned to the ground this week... many people lost everything that they had.  No one was hurt (it happened in the middle of the night), but it is still devastating for this community... It's not as if people had insurance policies to cover their market stalls.  Rebuilding has already started... in spite of seeming hopelessness, people are still working so hard to make things better.

Outside of work, I am keeping busy!  I jog 3 times a week, and have become quite the cook.  Lots of time as well to visit with others around the mission compound and to read my book.  This weekend, I am joining some of the medical and nursing students at the hospital in a trip to Vwaza Marsh (yes, site of the elephant incident), so that will be quite an adventure.

Hope that you are all keeping well.  I am sending love and hugs all the way from Malawi!
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours? Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com